The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Summertime Scavenger Hunt - 2013: Fisherman

Usually I have a crazy amount of pictures for each photo hunt category. Not  this time. When it came to fisherman I knew there was only one that I could ... or would post. You'll notice that there are no fish, poles or even water in the photo... but still a fisherman.

Every Saturday morning for almost 20 years I'd hear loud salsa music blaring in the driveway... at 6 a.m. I would bolt out the door, jump in the van and be off on an adventure. It was time to rock n' roll for the day. My friend and I would start out at the huge farmers market in the city, then the marketa in Mexicantown, then junkin' for the rest of the day until we pooped out and couldn't do it any more. 

We spent most of the day looking for various treasures that appealed to us individually. Thankfully, we went after different things. My interested were textiles, dolls and kooky, arty, crafty stuff. While I was searching for my own score, my friend was busily looking in every nook and cranny of every garage sale for fishing poles, lures and the like. When he found something, he'd holler Bubbaaaaaaa. I'd turn to see his eyes lit up like a kid getting ready to pounce on presents under the Christmas tree. I remember one day in particular, he found two creels and his eyes actually started twirling. He was so excited he could barely eeck out a sound, which was highly unusual cause he never stopped talking.

What a treasure! To him, that was better than a big lottery win.


Those days are gone now. This is the two year anniversary of his sudden passing. I can't believe it's been that long already. I can still hear his voice, and see his face with the little sparkle in his eye when he found those fishing treasures. The contemplation of the next great fishing trip was written all over it.

Miss you Bubbs... it was a great run mi amigo....

1 comment: