The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Naysayer No More!

One of the things that I do to stay as healthy as possible is to make chicken broth and have at least one cup per day. I've been making broth the old fashion way for decades; toss the chicken bones in a big stock pot and stand over the pot to skim the foam (or scum as some call it). If you dont do that, the foam goes back into your soup and adds a really unpleasant taste.

Well, three years ago I stumbled across the Instant Pot (IP). I had heard that it made great broth without skimming anything. I was such a naysayer. I thought it impossible. After almost one full year of research on the Instant Pot, I kept seeing the same info over and over again, so, I decided to give a try for myself.

Broth was of course one of the first things I made in my new Instant Pot. Everyone was right. Broth from the Instant Pot is every bit as flavorful and healthy as the stove top method, with one giant perk. No standing over the pot and skimming. Yeah!

Now I bet you want to know where I get the bones from. I save every bone and bit of fat from chicken, whether its from store bought rotisserie chicken or home cooked. I save the bones and carcasses in a zip lock bag that is kept in the freezer until I need to make broth. (recycling is in my blood. What can I say!) It doesn't take much.

My super easy IP chicken broth recipe:
  • Place your liner pot inside the Instant Pot
  • Use approximately one carcass worth of bones. Bones should fill to about 1/4 - 1/3 of the liner. Put liner pot inside the pot.
  • Fill the liner pot with water to just below the max line on the inside of the liner.
  • Set timer to Soup Button, 120 min. (or 240 on the newer pots)
  • Turn the black knob away from you to sealing. (it says it on the knob)
  • Make absolutely sure that your sealing ring has been completely inserted into the channel of the underside of the pot lid.
  • Then go do something else for 3-6 hours (it will take time to come to pressure and to release pressure, plus cooking time)
  • Let the pot release pressure before opening. (really, it will not let you open it until all pressure is released. Don't try to force it)

When its done, taste it. As an option, you can continue cooking for another 120 min. if your pot only goes to 120 min. I often do 240 min for my broth.

Then remove the bones, strain it.
You will have a lot of broth. I always ladle broth into freezer containers of various sizes for future use and save enough for my daily cup.

Note: I often do not add anything to flavor my broth because I use it in cooking as well as drinking. You can add veggie scraps, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper if you like. Just note that anything you add with the bones will need to be tossed out.

For more Instant Pot information or to purchase, please click on the Instant Pot image to the right of the post.

I hope to get back to sewing soon, but in the meantime, I have to eat, so I'll be cooking and posting. You can also follow me on Instagram at: #textilerecycler

No comments:

Post a Comment