The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Another new challenge

Well, here I go again. Challenging myself. Wow. I better stop doing this. Just had to one more time (I keep telling myself). I think this is a really valuable challenge for anyone who wants to learn free motion quilting or just to be forced to sit down and practice. 

When I first tried free motion, everyone was doing it. And doing it very well. Me. Well, I just kept breaking needles. I couldn't get the hang of it. I'd sew about an inch or so, and bam. . . a broken needle. I'd try again, modifying my foot, hand and eye coordination, but nope. . . bam. . . another broken needle to add to the growing collection. So what would a normal red blooded quilter do? Yep, I gave up. 

Then I started trying again, but not too often. It was too depressing and frustrating. But, a few years into to it, I had an epiphany. It came with some help from a few wonderful gals and I was off and running. 

So when the notice of this challenge popped up in my email, I was all over it. I can sharpen my skills for sure. And it's just one per month. That's twelve folks! Not like my other challenge. That is one per week! And let's not even mention the self imposed challenges I have going on. So this should be a breeze.
 

The first tutorial is by Frances Moore. Here is my entry. I know that everyone doing this challenge will be showing samples of perfection. Not me. It is not important to me that it be perfect, but that I experiment with the possibilities of how to use the pattern given. So you will see that starting on the left, the leaves look plain and normal as shown in the tutorial. I then transitioned to the alternate sample which was the circle inside the leaf. I just wanted to fill the 'page' with leaves and see how well I could back myself into or out of a corner. I think I did ok.

This challenge is open to anyone. To learn more or sign up here is the link:
http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/free-motion-quilt-challenge.html

3 comments:

  1. hey they look like leaves and your stitches are even. Bravo.. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each time I do free motion stitching I have to sing "Happy Birthday" or whatever so I won't hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete