The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Flea Market Friday!

Recently I had the good fortune to add a few pieces of fabric to my 'collection'. I love feeding my fiber addiction. ding! As if I need it. I found myself at a rummage sale, the last day, just before it closed. Usually there's not much left.. some odds and ends. Often some really damaged shoes, sometimes just one because the other got lost in the shuffle, then there are the ratty, stained t-shirts that often smell of stale cigarettes and b.o... but once in a while I find something that I can remake, repair, reuse. I had no idea that this was my very lucky day.... Look what I found ...

... this lovely painted panel. She's talking to me. So far she says that she would love some more paint and African fabric piecing to create a wall hanging. As long as she doesn't become a UFO, maybe next summer she'll hang in the quilt show I was invited to participate in this past summer. I think she needs a name tho... any suggestions?


Next I found this batik.
It's about 36 x 45 inches... the colors are beautiful slate blue, clay rust, rosey pinks and leafy greens. Someone put a lot of work into creating the castle with the Russian dome at the top, and sun rays peaking out as a backdrop. It needs to speak a bit louder to me before I can decide what if anything to do with it. In the past I have had issues with cutting into fabric I love, so I may try to get past my squeemishness and do some cutting.....


And the last piece is a huge batik cloth. It's so big that it can cover a king size bed effortlessly. And, It's perfect! The blue is vivid and bright and the white a wonderful soft winter white. This is just too perfect to cut .... so we'll see where this all takes me..


I can't believe that these items were still there at the end of the sale.. they must have known that I would rescue them, so they waited patiently and turned away if anyone showed interest...don't worry, I'll breath new life into you and give you a new home....
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
I have known for a long time that I am not the only one that loves flea markets or junkin' as I call it. My best friend passed last year and we had a standing date every single weekend to find the best junk out there. We searched near and far.... After all, they're everywhere! After participating in Artsyville Aimee's 'List it Tuesday' for a few weeks now,  I have seen a trend ... EVERYONE loves flea markets ... So, I was inspired. 

With Aimees’s blessing, this is a first of a weekly feature called Flea Market Friday. Join me on my journey. Let's post our finds and what we do with them. Your treasures can be from a garage or rummage sale, thrift store or flea market, and anything in between ... It's the why. What attracts you to certain items. Is it the color, the shape, the style, the design, the adding to a collection or maybe the thrill of recycling or upcycling the item into something else … maybe it’s just brings a smile and a happy memory. Whatever it is and how the items are used fascinates me ... 

So please join me each week with your finds... current or past ... just share ... show us the before or the before n' after.... either way, happy junkin' !

No comments:

Post a Comment