The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Do as I say NOT as I do!

OMG! I did a baaaaaaad thing last night. It was around 6 o'clock or so, too close to dinner time. I was going thru fabric, organizing, cleaning and rearranging, when it happened. I hadn't given it much thought at all. I was just workin' away... in the zone so to speak. When it was done, I was in horror and disbelief. I only stopped because I was dripping in sweat and my heart was pounding, but I could see that the damage was done and it was pretty horrific. And I am not exaggerating. I thought about freaking out but managed to remained calm. I didn't want to give myself away or have a heart attack!

It was really mind boggling how everything that had been in my sewing room just a few moments before was now piled up in various other places. . . like the bedroom . . .  the hallway . . . the bathroom . . . the kitchen. . .  you get the idea. Fabric, shelves, boxes, books, and bags of stuff were piled up so high that they were sliding over into each other and truly everywhere. There was no room to walk and I was blocked into the corner. Oh-oh. It seemed highly dubious that my husband was going to get to sleep in the bed that night unless he flew over everything and landed in the bed. . . which again. .  . had mountains of stuff piled up on.
I really did it this time. I was getting scared and sick to my stomach. I just don't have time to deal with this catastrophic mess and it was a mess. I had to work quickly and efficiently since it was just a few hours till bed time. I have torn this room apart before, but started first thing in the morning and at that, it has always taken at least a week to put it back together. Luckily, with my nose to the grindstone, I was able to clear a path for bed time. Phew!

So today I worked a bit toward making it better and no surprise, I came across a few pieces that were at one time going to be a quilt but just seemed too disjointed to be appealing in any sense of the word. 

I set aside the pieces and during a clean-up break tonight, I gave 'em a look over. I think I can do something with these now, but it won't be medium size as originally planned, but a 'small' as I like to call them.

When I first cut and stitched them together a few years ago, I was still a bit skittish about cutting randomly into anything already sewed together.  . or even my hand dyes for that matter. Happily I got over it. . . with some prompting from others of course ( and you know who you are). So tonight I made a few cuts without any pre-planning which is part of my journey. I'll stitch them up tomorrow and see what I get.

The top photo shows the 4 pieces I found. The photo to the right shows a few random cuts and some strategically placed pins. Give me few days, let's see what happens.

In case you wonder, no matter how fabulous or not this piece may be in the end, I don't recommend tearing a room apart at night just to happen across something to work on. no... no. . . no. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment