The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Have a Play Date for Inspiration

A few days ago I spent the day with my wonderfully creative friend Kat. We had lots of materials to play with, but where oh where to start.  . . It took me a minute to get started. Since I had a bunch of disjointed materials with me, I did not have a clue. What I would do or want to do? Remember, I am trying to work with intuitively with what I have and not overthink.

So I started cutting into a hunk of fabric, aimlessly tearing some pieces, then cutting other pieces.  There was no thought at all as to size or shape. .  just aimless dismembering. I started seeing flower petals amid the shapes, so I went with it. Yipes. It was awful. It was pretty ugly and embarrassing, too . .  I know I can do better than this! I set it aside and went back with fresh eyes a few minutes later, then added paint via stamps.  . . the photo shows what I went home with. It needs more work.
















Working with the stamps was big fun, so I cut more hunks of fabric and stamped away. The 2 pinkish peices were from the hand dyed collection. I wasn't pleased with the outcome so they landed in the over dye or discharge pile. In other words, nothing I did to them today could be worse!

I was rather pleased with the flower shapes and paisleys all lined up. It's a great start to something that calls for more embellishment.







More flowers and paisleys!
I wish I made more of this. . .






So the lesson is not to panic if you find that you have materials that don't speak to you or each other. Start a conversation, sit back and listen. They always tell you what they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment