The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

List it Tuesday: Culinary Traditions

Unlike Aimee from Artsyville, who started this whole list making thing, I come from a long line of great cooks and bakers. I was at my grandmother or mom's side as they made with the pots and pans every day, and everything was fab-u-lus .... and never a recipe to be seen. That in itself is a drag because no one can duplicate anything they made.

Now I have major food allergies so I can no longer partake in the yummy traditions that I once did. I've had to create new traditions that are 'safe'.

So here are just a few old and new:

~ I completely forgot about this till just this second... every Friday night my dad got Chinese carry-out. That tradition started when I was just a wee one. 

~ When we were a two income family, my hub and I had Thai or Chinese almost every Friday night. Hmmm, I never thought about it till this very second.. but did you read the first one of the list?? Holy cow!

~ I make a mean tofu pumpkin pie every year for Thanksgiving... really.. it's delish. Even tofu haters love it.

~ All itty bitty bits of food that never make it to a plate get merged for a conglomerate nacho topping or get frozen and end up in a soup some time in the future. I'm a 'dump cook'. I admit it and I love it!

~ All chicken bones get tossed in a designated freezer bag, accumulated to some random amount, then melted into a yummy chicken broth when the need arises. Made some today and used a bit to cook brown rice for dinner.

~ Chocolate stars and candy orange slices started as a tradition when the hub and I were dating. It has morphed into having a few malted milk balls after dinner for special occasions.

~ When I'm really in allergy hell and steroids are my savior... my decades long tradition is a 2 liter of Vernors, a bag of black licorice and the biggest bag I can find of some crinkly type potato chips... before the allergies it was a big fat hot toddy (ding!)

~ And the most important tradition, I ALWAYS carry protein bars and have a stock pile at home, just in case I can't find food on the road or need protein during a power outage... yep.. I've lived on them for a week at a time.... more than once..

As usual, I had no idea it was Tuesday today until I saw the Artsyville post. ... so there is nothing pretty like artwork or photo to show with my list.... I gotta get a grip.... 

Want to read more lists? Go to: http://artsyville.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your food allergies...it does make you creative, that us for sure. My elderly mother is allergic to soy, always has been...and it us now in EVERYTHING!!!! We've stopped going to family dinners because of it...just show up after the fact.
    Love your list...this is always so much fun!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading everyone else's list IS fun! Sorry to hear about your mom's allergies. I surely feel her pain.

      Delete
  2. Chinese every Friday night? I LIKE that idea!.. And Whoppers malted milk balls are definitely one of my top favorites as far as candy goes!!! Nice meeting you through List It Tuesday! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so far away that chinese don't deliver. :) Not that I could order now that I eat gluten free but before that chinese was my favorite kind of food. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this; we're soup bone savers as well, and I always have room for chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl after my own heart! Soup and chocolate ...hmmmm...

      Delete
  5. Tofu pumpkin pie huh? That's a new one.

    ReplyDelete