The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Saturday, December 15, 2012

A day at the museum

Yesterday I spent the day with a bunch of high school kids at the local art museum. Before we left the school, there were lots of long faces, puffed out lips and cranky attitudes. Surprising because they were getting out of school for the day. So why you wonder....

Well it turns out that since the groups were pre-arranged and the kids were not able to hang out with their friends all day, they were unhappy. One came up to me with a long face and great concern and told me that none of his friends were in his group. He was horrified when I replied with a big smile, "Great! Now you can make new friends"... that's just me... So we all boarded the bus... quite a bumpy ride I must say... and rode to the city for a day of art.

When we got there, we were met by staff and our tour guides. We broke into our three groups and were on our way. Each group headed off in a different direction. To my surprise, my tour guide was an artist that I have known for 20 years! I was so happy to see her ... and she was great! Good with the kids and patiently answered all of their questions. And to my surprise, the kids responded well to her too. She pointed out little tid bits of fact and asked them questions to which many were able to answer. I think I smelled some burning oil for a minute there while they were trying to think of answers. But the gears kicked in and it was all good.

We started with the Diego Rivera murals.


Then moved on to a very large mosaic piece by Romare Bearden.

 

Then another large mixed media piece by Charles McGee.


After looking at quite a few galleries, all three groups met up for a quick lunch together, a trip to the gift shop, then I took my group on another short tour of Egyptian, Middle Eastern and African galleries before boarding the bus to go back to school.


When I asked on the bus if anyone liked the day at the museum, this was a response from two of the gals. I think their smiles say it all :)


Thanks museum for inviting us. Thanks bus driver for the safe trip. Thanks kids for going, behaving and learning while having fun. Let's do it again....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Textile Recycler: Loved your piece about the trip to the museum with the kids. Nice job conveying the experience.

    ReplyDelete