The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

List it Tuesday! What's in your junk drawer...

Tuesday always comes so fast... sheesh....
Well, because I think so highly of Aimee, our list master, and because her list making has been a lifeline for me....I am going to use this week's list to out myself. I did not come to this decision lightly. And, I've been tearing the bandaid off very gently over the last few months. I guess it's time to rip it off all the way. So, here it goes:

I don't have a junk drawer.  I have a junk house. Yes, it's true. With everything going on over the last few years, I'm just glad to have some sanity left. I'm old, unemployed, everyone I love keeps dieing and have my own health issues to deal with ... a junk drawer isn't even on my radar. So for this list, my junk drawer is actually my dining room table.  Yes, the entire table. 

Here's how it started. Two years ago I was home alone from Christmas to New Years. So I did what any red blooded creative person would do... I laid out lots of bottles of paint, fabric, paper, screens, etc. Who would know? My plan was for this to be temporary... just till the holidays ended. Then everything would go back to it's rightful place(s) and Voila! No one would be the wiser. Well, unfortunately, with all of the deaths (8 last year over 5 mo), a flood, numerous multi-day power outages, bed ridden with allergies multiple times and oh so much more... well, clearing the table fell by the way side. And this year, same thing.. bedridden for a month or more with each allergy episode (hence the Prednisone in a past list), power outages and many of them.... heck, the dang power box was pulled right off the house in a storm that left me power less for a week in the 100 degrees this past July... uck, taking care of Pops, 5 deaths over 7 weeks.... why go on...you get the idea...

So, here's what's on the table~
paint: lots of small bottles
brushes: foam, bristle
little sponges: bunches of 'em
paint sticks: omg
fabric scraps: no comment
fabric yardage: ditto to above
pens
pencils
books
upholstry fabric books
rubber stamps: strewn around the other crap on the table
bobbins: don't ask
empty food containers: now hold dingy paint water or are totally dried up
jewelry: odd bits, and they are there for no good reason
a shoe: can't even remember why
and a basket or two: why? who know's
misc mail: junk mail... but still.....
some boxes of misc stuff: I need to see what's in them I think
big yellow phone book: waiting to be pitched... or used for mixed media : )
mini ironing board: with paint globs & fabric patches all over it, I might add
squeegees: gotta have 'em
old credit cards: squeegee wannabees

I'm sure there is more but I'd have to remove the top layer to find out what.

There is no photographic evidence this week. The photos will be used for next weeks Flea Market Friday, so I guess if want to see the ugly truth for yourself, you'll have to come back  ....

If curious about the other list makers junk drawers, go to: http://artsyville.blogspot.com/

Ahhhh, thanks Aimee... I feel so much better now (ding!)

14 comments:

  1. Ok, I won't ask about the bobbins and I didn't offer photographic evidence either!
    Hope your allergies subside soon.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh, your table sounds worst than mine. And I guess that makes me feel better, but I feel horrible about your loses and bad health problems and weather. Looks like up to me! Take care, {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's been a weird few years for sure, but I am confident that it is behind me and I am starting 2013 with a clean slate... With that said, I thought the same thing last year when it started with me saving a families lives...and you see how my year ended.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I found your blog through the Blog Hop Party. Your opening thoughts spoke to me. I started blogging in September and have been wondering if it was a fruitless endeavor but I do enjoy it and I've decided it's not a competition so I'm going to relax and enjoy it. I look forward to learning more from you as I follow your journey. Ronda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ronda. That means a lot to me. We'll learn from each other :)

      Delete
  4. Junk tables are part of creating... I love the disorder on my desk here in the studio... I know exactly where everything is even though it makes no sense or has any rhyme or reason... it is all the fun of it!!! great post and enjoyed my visit to your blog ...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey.. I agree that orderly disorder is the way to go... but we need the table to eat on :(
      Keep coming back to hear about more disorder in my life :) lol..

      Delete
  5. pure awesomeness! that is the best confession I've heard all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Your honesty inspires me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they say that a messy desk is the sign of a brilliant mind! we must be geniuses! :-)

    ReplyDelete