The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

List it Tuesday - holiday traditions!

Todays list is: Holiday Traditions or in my case Favorites.

I'm usually home alone for the holidays which sounds sad, but I love it. My time is my own. It's my time to cleanse my mind and my home. I can just get in the zone and do what I need to do and what I want to do without any guilt...So without a lot more explanation, here is my list:

  • fave movie: Miracle on 34th Street.... already seen it 2x this week!
  • fave way to keep warm: hot (chicken) soup or other yummy homemade soup & snuggling with my hub, of course
  • fave meal: lamb & green beans and/or bean sprout chili :)
  • fave beverage: soy egg nog ...yum-eeeee
  • fave thing just at holidays: making latkes, often times with the oddest of veggies
  • fave way to spend time: any way I darn well please!               No schedules :) 
  • fave trait: become a hermit... I don't leave the house for 14 days or so
  • fave challenge: I always issue myself a challenge of some sort. Usually something creative. My 2 faves: #1-making one quilt every day for the 14 days I was alone (photo above is one of my self-imposed challenge pieces & #2 -getting giant rolling drawer thingys and organizing all my my crafty bits
  • fave feeling when the holiday is over: knowing that a lot of crap from around the house got thrown out (or recycled to someone else)!
  • fave holiday song: by Donnie Hathaway, Christmas Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4LLipP192M
  •  and the Ronettes, Sleigh Ride                                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa-hTXE72G0
  • fave thing of all: peace and quiet
  • fave day: when hubby comes home (ding!)
Fave wish to you all:
Have a very happy, safe, and successful holiday season!

As always, you can see more of Aimee's holiday elf's traditions lists at: 

8 comments:

  1. I, too, enjoy all the special food this time of year - January is the month for dieting! I love to get organized for the new year - I need to get rid of all my beads that I don't use anymore... I just saw your Blog Hop Party with Give-Aways. That's a great January challenge for me! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the purging of stuff has begun! It feels great. Maybe by early January I will be able to find the top of my dining room table again. (giggle)

      Delete
  2. I love Miracle On 34th Street. And soy egg nog!

    And I get solitude and the happy when the hubby comes home both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yah...when I'm alone I can drink myself into oblivion with the egg nog :) Toward New Years I buy a few extras and freeze them for special times during the year :) The hub is none the wiser.

      Delete
  3. Hi Textile Recycler, Enjoyed your holiday list. I have a lot in common with you: love the solitude to a point and love Christmas movies and music.

    Stay creative TR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice to meet like minded people! Have a wonderful holiday!

      Delete
  4. great list... i am a little envious of your peaceful alone time! and i can't imagine being able to make a quilt a day. you are amazing!

    enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe shucks...thanks. That's what self imposed challenges are all about!

      Delete