The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Another death... what is going on Universe??? 

A jazz great has now been taken from us. He gave us all so many years of fantastic music.. a pioneer ... a legend.. Yes, my path crossed with Mr. Brubeck. Close friends, no. But he and his family's lives were entwined with ours. Dave & Iola, his wife, were friends with my in laws and kept in touch for many many years, Chris and his brothers were and have been friends with my husband for decades. Back in the day... and I mean waaaaay back, Chris and my husband were in a band together. When they were strangers to me, for some reason my roommate and I let 'the boys' practice and jam at our house during the day. Then they'd gig at local clubs at night. I was stunned one day to come home from work and find Mr. Dave Brubeck sitting in my living room. What a pleasant surprise. What a lovely and gracious man.

Sorry for your loss Brubeck family. Thank you for sharing your husband, your dad and his genius with the world. We are so much richer for it.

Here is one of my all time favorite Dave Brubeck songs, Take Five:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1S_vA0ougg

No comments:

Post a Comment