The creative and spiritual journey of a (textile) recycler. . .

I have thought about starting a blog for a long time now. I just couldn’t seem to get started. I thought. . what would I say, what would I do and really . . . . . who would care.

Last year I had the great fortune to witness a ‘happening’. As a spouse at a reunion (I know, groan) I was both an observer and participant. This reunion was attended by some of the most creative and talented people on the face of the planet. Really, no exaggeration! But many were holding onto life long insecurities. They didn’t think they were talented enough and embarrassed to perform in front of each other for fear of . . who knows . . . finger pointing, whispers, laughter, ridicule of some sort for sure. Once it was revealed that many shared the same feelings, the healing began. And I was the lucky one. I got to witness it all and benefit as well.

So, the message is that we all think we are not good enough compared to someone else, but we are. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you. We can’t measure our own success by someone else’s talents.

This revelation and the kindness / support of strangers has propelled my creative journey to a place I had given up ever getting to. Tho I thought my creative juices were dried up forever, they have merely been reawakened. Many thanks to all involved in my process, including in-part . . Victoria B, Mrs. W., Charles Mc., Claudia H, Mary B, Cindy G, Sandy B, Traci B., Kat C, and my IAA family. So, thank you. I dedicate this blog to all of you!

Monday, December 10, 2012

It's a great day!

Ok, I just have to say something.. days don't always start and end as we plan. My day started with me being excited about participating in my first blog hop. I didn't have a lot else planned and not much else to be geeked up about. Not too many people seemed to be signing up to follow my blog. A bit sad. That's ok. I think I'm an acquired taste. I'm not mainstream and definitely march to the beat of my own drum. What I do and have to say is not for everyone.
 
On my errand list was a plan to pick up some freebies ..... but I got so much more. I think I made a new friend today. What a nice lady....We sat and talked and got to know each other as we looked thru all kinds of things together.... and toward the end of our visit she offered information that could lead to come gainful employment! I am going into my 5th year of being laid off folks. Money is tight. Oh, did I mention a big thanks auto industry for taking a nose dive. I lost the best job I ever had (as did so many others).  Said it many times. Tho I am truly not bitter. I do know that thinks happen for reasons that can take years to figure out...so other than the loss of income, I get it..... I'm cool ....

When I was first laid off tho, I was pretty confident that I would start something new in a relatively short period of time. I have credentials and experience on my side. But people wanted to me work for free and after a year get what ever was left over. My forehead does not say 'fool' on it...so, no, I did not take those jobs. Can't work on spec for a year with no money at the end. While looking in my field I still looked for other types of employment... anything. Been looking ever since. It can start getting to you when you are told repeatedly that you are too old and overqualified. So, when my new friend not only filled my addiction for all things creative and then offered the possibility of a job too! Yep.. the day got a lot better.

I will be sharing more about my great finds at Flea Market Friday.. tho the post may show up on Sat or Sunday this week. I'll be traveling with a pack of teen-agers to the art institute for the day. I just may be to old for some things after all ... maybe those people that didn't hire me were right!

So as I've said before, the kindness of strangers always amazes me. I live in an area where adult men let the door close rather than hold it open, where people of all ages drive so aggressively that just going out your front door can be a risk and where people never ever hesitate to curse you out for no reason at all.

Well nice new friend... thank you for opening up your home and sharing some time with me... I appreciate the ego boost and the goodies and hope that you feel as good about the day as I do (ding!)


New shoes, part of my freebies. I LOVE purple!


1 comment:

  1. Gotta love those good days that just jump out the blue... or in your case, purple!! xo

    ReplyDelete